Sunday, September 30, 2012

Brave Hunters & Hunting Cabins

Back on Mars today. No projects around the house -- too busy doing laundry from the trip & resting up for the work week. Adrienne had the great idea to take Zoey to a nearby state park, so we did that, too, to take advantage of unbelievably warm weather. Here's a brave dog, wading into the ocean for the first time in her life:



She had fun splashing around, & chasing the lizards & squirrels in the park. She thinks she's a crack hunter, but luckily for us -- and the lizards & squirrels -- she's not.

In other news, while in NH, I got to pitch in on someone else's home improvement project: my dad is refinishing the walls in a half (quarter?) bath he has off the kitchen.

Mostly I held the flashlight & the tools, & held panels up to be nailed in, but it was fun working with him, & it was great experience to learn how to do a thing like this. I even learned how to install a light fixture without killing myself. Hey!

And, like a project on Mars, there were unforeseen obstacles that took time & creativity to get around. The piece of ceiling trim on the left of this picture took a whole day to put up, & involved nails, screws, and a pair of toggle bolts:


He's almost done. Just waiting for the weather to clear, so that he can stain the rest of the trim. Then it's just a matter of putting it up, & replacing the cover on the electrical panel.

It's funny that I'm trying to get rid of our wood paneling, while my dad is putting it up at his house. This lighter shade is much better than the old, dark stuff we have, though, and having it on the ceiling, too, makes it look a little like something in a hunting cabin.

Back to work tomorrow, & back to Mars projects. Next, I think I'm going to finally get back to painting over all that pink trim.

1 comment:

  1. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the advantage the wood paneling your dad is using may be that it is actually wood. As opposed to whatever it was that was put up all over Mars...

    ReplyDelete