Sunday, September 16, 2012

Farmer Brown's Summer Harvest

The summer's vegetable experimental plantings have done well, & I have learned a lot about what will do well & where.

Favas did fairly well on the front porch:

Destined for the roasting pan!

The planters I had them in were too small, & while favas tolerate some shade, most of the porch is perhaps too shady. Next time, I will put them in the back yard.

Here is a little box full of the bounty of our garden, put together for a long-lost friend who came over for coffee:
Carrots, mint, lemon verbena, cilantro, roses.

The carrots were wonderfully sweet, but didn't reach their full length because I didn't prepare a deep enough bed. More digging in my future! And/or buying seeds for one of those little stubby varieties instead. The cilantro did surprisingly well in a little shady spot under the lemon verbena, so more to go in there next time, as well.

Later today, I head off to go enjoy the bounty of autumn in New England for two weeks. More updates from Mars when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment