Monday, August 24, 2015

Garage almost finished

Got some neat stuff done in the garage this week, and I am happy to say that I'm almost finished in there.

First, I got the rice paper hung on the outside of the DuserHaus wall:


It's a little more opaque than I was hoping, but it still looks pretty good. 

Next, I took some x-rays that were done of AJ and Pickles recently, and printed them on transparencies. Then, I put them up on one of the DuserHaus windows, which I had covered with some translucent moisture barrier material left over from laying the floor in AJ's office a couple years ago:


The illumination is from the garage door windows across the room.

After that, I spread out the rest of The Stuff I Saved. Recall that there was a bunch of stuff left in the "rooms" under the kitchen by the previous owner (who moved in in 1963 or so, and lived here until she passed away in 2011) and the owner previous to her. To refresh your memory, look here and here. Some of it was just trash, but some of it was kind of interesting -- old jars of nuts & bolts, electrical parts that someone used to tinker with, etc. Before construction began, I filled about six 12" cube boxes worth of it, with the idea of using some/all of it in the DuserHaus later. Here's what six boxes of old stuff looks like (remember that this table is 5'x5'):



Here's what was left when I was finished on Sunday:



Here's what I did with all that stuff (click on the photo to make it bigger):



The "Let It Snow" neon sign is from our friend Jon, from a lighting job he did several years ago. The calendar, dated 1955, was hanging in that same spot when we moved in, so I just put it back there. The white light bulb sockets used to be in the garage, before the construction guys broke them & we had to replace them. The fuse box between the calendar and "Snow" is the fuse box that was still live and powering the lights in the garage when we moved in, & that we were happy to have removed during the construction project. The rest are various fixtures, cords, and jars left by whoever used to tinker in the "rooms" under the house.

I also made this pool cue rack out of some old copper and iron pipes:



There are a couple more things I want to do with that stuff next weekend, and then anything not used is going to the dump (again feeling the need to prove that I'm not a hoarder).

The last thing I did was set up some colored lights that Jon had given AJ years ago:


The orange one behind the rice paper is especially nice.

Well, my days of summer fun in the garage are just about over. School starts on Thursday, and I will have to prioritize that over puttering around. Next weekend, I will wrap up using up/tossing out that pile on the pool table, and then see what little projects I can squeeze in around schoolwork for the next 16 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to get you a trophy. It shall say "Putterer of the Year."

    ReplyDelete