Sunday, August 9, 2015

Decking: Done!

Got a big project checked off the list this week: sanding and sealing the decking outside the new room. I wasn't able to do it when the decking was new because the overnight temperatures were too low, so unfortunately, the wood got weathered while I waited for things to warm up. The decking is only about 16 feet by 4 feet, but it took me three hours to sand down past the weathered layer and expose clean(ish) redwood:



Every muscle in both legs is sore today. But it's done and it came out pretty ok, for my first time:



In other news, we don't have any chairs or stools that are the right height for the pool/game table I mentioned last week, so I am making some out of leftover lumber we still have lying around in the garage. Here is attempt number one:


It's not as rickety as it looks (it's only about 2 feet high), and somehow I managed to get it all more or less square. Those metal pieces are aluminum ties that the foundation/excavator contractors left here last spring.

Lastly, my bike is done: 


I had a mechanic at a bike shop down the street take a look at it to make sure everything is safe -- just in case... -- and now I'm back on the road. It takes me half the time to get to & from work on the bike,  compared to taking the bus, so I'm happy as a clam. AJ's needs one last adjustment, & then she will be done, too.

I have two weeks left before school starts. I'm hoping to get a couple more stools done, put some shelves up in the garage, and get the bamboo mural restarted.

1 comment:

  1. The decking looks gorgeous. In fact, it always amazes me how beautiful redwood trees are both inside and out. The stools are also pretty swell and I look forward to utilizing them with bumper pool. I will post a review after use.

    ReplyDelete