Monday, June 22, 2015

Week 67

Week 1 of vacation done! In addition to sleeping late and drinking too much coffee, I made very good progress on the cabinets this week.

First thing, I had to make some sawhorses, having none:



Next, the skeleton of the cabinets:


Pickles did not appreciate that I worked past her dinner hour that day.

Getting everything level was a challenge, because the floor is not level -- it slopes front to back, and also left to right. 

Next, the backing for the cabinets. I used some leftover corrugated plastic so that the natural light from the windows can also light up the cabinets:



Next, blocking large gaps in the back of the cabinets to keep mice and dust out. It was a lot of cutting tiny pieces of wood to fit odd-shaped holes, so it took a long time. For the gap under the framing that I'm attaching the cabinets to, I had this 15 foot board from the concrete pour last year that worked perfectly:



Next, putting in plywood shelves:


They go through only four of the cabinets, leaving the two on the end open for tall fermentation vessels.

Next, more structure to the cabinets, and making sure the verticals are straight up and down in all directions.



Next, I put some maps on the back of the cube thing:


And then settled it back where it will be attached:



This is how the maps look in their final home:



Finally, I got started on the counter top:



From another angle, closer up:



I was thinking of leveling out the uneven parts with a block plane, but the unevenness looks interesting, so I might just pour a layer of resin over the top to preserve that while still getting a flat work surface.

Lastly, and most importantly: proof for my parents that I still have all my fingers:




In garden news, the first peas are ready, and we have baby beets:




AJ made a delicious dinner with them, after enjoying her practice drum:




Next up: finishing the counter, and then figuring out what I want to do for cabinet doors.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing it finished, in person, it is neat to go back and see what it was like *before* it was finished and in process. Also, it must be said: you made sawhorses. SAWHORSES. ON YOUR OWN. WITHOUT HELP. AND YOU KEPT YOUR FINGERS. Job. Well. Done.

    ReplyDelete