Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mars Farm 2013: Sprouts, More Seeds, Raised Beds

The weather continues to get warmer, the days continue to get longer, & sprouts are starting to come up at Mars Farm:

Snap Peas!


Lettuce!

There were beets planted here before the dog got in. Bad dog!


Meanwhile, this weekend, I planted some more seeds:

Herbs!

Herbs & Thai chile peppers!


I also finished building the raised bed for the pumpkins:

Mr. Bunkport's leftover lumber -- cut & ready to go!

Front panel completed! 

Backing the open spaces between the wood planks is a section I cut from a livestock feed sack I found on our neighbor's 'free' pile on the sidewalk. My hope is that it will allow more heat from the sun to get to the soil, versus if there were just more wood there instead.


Back panel completed!

The sides go on!

Almost done!

Not quite square, but done!

It's 22 inches high, 3 feet long, & 19 inches wide. Why so big? Pumpkins require deep beds, & since I can't really dig into the existing soil without accelerating the slow collapse of the concrete wall on the north side of the yard, I thought this was the best way to take advantage of the great sun on that side. 

Also, this will be great for tomatoes next year. They also require deep beds, & as it happens, are poisonous to dogs -- I'll be able to put 2 or 3 tomato plants in here next year without a problem, & also not have to worry about the dog getting into something she shouldn't.

This was also a great way to use up the lumber sitting in the garage. The only thing I bought for this project was a hand saw & a box of nails.

After the pumpkin box was finished, I used the scraps to make a little (16 inches long, 8 inches wide, 7 inches deep) box for a small, round variety of carrots I just got:



Here it is, with soil & seeds in the sun:



In a couple weeks, I'll be able to get the pumpkin box out into the yard & the pumpkin seeds planted in it. All this waiting is unbearable!

1 comment: