Saturday, November 17, 2012

Leak on Mars!

It's been raining for the last day & a half. Judging from the puddle on the bathroom floor, we seem to have a leak. Must be where the ventilation fan exhaust duct meets the roof. 

As soon as it dries off a little out there, I'm going to borrow the neighbor's extension ladder & get up on the roof with the last of that leftover window glazing, & seal that right up.

My mother's heart just stopped. Just kidding! I have no business being on an extension ladder, & we all know that. I'm going to call a handyman on Monday.

I was just on a 6-foot ladder in the bathroom, however, looking up under the fan cover -- I learned how to take that off while helping my dad replace just such a fan when I was home in September -- & on the top of the bathroom cabinet, I saw a giant dusty coin:


It's a 1968 Mexico silver 25-peso coin, minted to commemorate the Mexico City Olympics. From what we know, Abuela, who was originally from Mexico, moved into Mars with her husband in the early sixties -- maybe she picked it up while on a trip back to Mexico around that time, or maybe someone sent it to her to share the Olympic excitement? 

Another mystery: the bathroom was renovated, including putting that cabinet in new, in 2009, so Abuela must have put it up there on purpose. Why? For luck, maybe? My family tosses a few coins under the floor mat of a new car for luck, so maybe that's it. Anyway, I figure Mars can use all the luck it can get, so I put it back where I found it.

I also found a Gillette disposable razor up on that cabinet. We have even less idea what that was doing up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment