Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 24

This week felt like a slow week, but that's what all the books say -- the finishing stage is excruciating, because it goes very slowly. So I guess, then, that we're doing great!

I was at a conference Sunday through Wednesday, so we're skipping straight ahead to what I found on Thursday.


The upstairs trim is now done:




There are exciting looking measurements and sketches written on the wall where the countertop will go:





And a surface planer arrived that Mr. Bunkport will use to clean up the wood that we're recycling into the countertop & bathroom furniture:



A large framing board was cut out of the threshold of the bathroom door, leaving nothing further to trip over:




And the backer board for the tile backsplash was installed:



I still don't know why the bathroom was mysteriously boarded up last week. I guess whoever they put in there is finally out of timeout.



Friday

A little more exterior trim was added on Friday:




And they began to clean up that recycled wood:



This tiny stack generated two huge trash cans full of saw dust:



Meanwhile, the rose bush is looking very happy:




Saturday

No guys came to work on Saturday, so I took advantage of the calm & space (& industrial-strength wood glue) to use some scrap wood to make a table top & shelf for this old Ikea rolling hanging file caddy:



And Pickles took advantage of the beautiful weather to practice her best junk yard dog impersonation:



Sunday

No work happened on Sunday either, except I measured things to plan for buying paint & mulch. AJ went to perform taiko drumming at a local street festival (& I just wanted an excuse to post this picture of her doing it):


They were fantastic!

Also, I want to add that last night at 3:20am, we had our biggest earthquake since the 1989 one that collapsed the Bay Bridge. I am very happy to say that everything is absolutely fine, thanks to our excellent new framing. Thank you, Mr. Bunkport!

Next up: final patching & priming upstairs & down, finishing the electrical bits, and installing the countertop. We may also do a painting party on labor day weekend...we'll see how close I get to organizing that.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. P makes a good junk yard dog. She's so versatile.

    I'm glad to hear y'all weathered the earthquake so well. I almost called but then I figured things must be ok or else somebody (*cough* aj *cough*) would have texted that you needed rescuing. Right? Right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Structural foundation repair - just in time!! And that table you have fashioned looks simply magnificent. Your creative use of supplies and ingenuity remind me a of a certain Canadian crafter whose show has a scratchy guitar intro.

    ReplyDelete